Hope you all had a wonderful Independence Day Celebration! I shared a picture of this delicious pie I baked for the special day and had so many requests for the recipe. So weather you’re feeling ‘Murica everyday or want to change it up and decorate the top with whatever you like, try it out and let me know how you liked it. Trust me this pie was super easy and not a Pinterest fail!
Enjoy this recipe at
Or the helpful video at
OLD GLORY BERRY PIE
Makes 1 9-inch Pie
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours 45 minutes
–Pie dough, enough for 2 crusts
–4½ cups fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
–1½ cups fresh blueberries
–½ cup granulated sugar
–⅓ cup corn starch
–½ teaspoon almond extract, divided
–1 large egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit (220 degrees Celsius).
- On a lightly-floured surface, roll out the dough for one of the pie crusts into a 12-inch, ⅛-inch-thick circle. Fold into quarters and place into an ungreased 9-inch pie dish. Unfold and press against the bottom and sides of the dish. Trim excess dough to ½ inch from the edge of plate. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the granulated sugar and the corn starch until well-mixed.
- Take ¼ cup of the sugar mixture and ¼ teaspoon of almond extract, and add to a small bowl with the blueberries. Toss to coat.
- Add the remaining sugar mixture and ¼ teaspoon of almond extract to a medium bowl with the strawberries. Toss to coat.
- Fold a piece of aluminum foil in half several times to create a 2-inch-wide strip. Fold the ends in so that the strip fits inside the pie dish, and place into the dish, dividing the crust into ⅓ and ⅔ sections. Press gently into the dough.
- With your hand on one side of the foil, gently pour the blueberries into the ⅓ section. Pour the strawberries into the remaining ⅔ section. Gently level out the fruit and carefully remove the foil.
- On a lightly-floured surface, roll out the remaining pie crust into an 11-inch circle.
- Cut 5 ¾-inch wavy strips of dough to make the stripes of the flag. Place the strips over the strawberry portion of the pie, leaving space in between each and trimming as needed. Fold the bottom crust over the edge of the strips and crimp the edges with a fork.
- Using a 2-inch star cookie cutter, cut 7 to 8 stars from the remaining dough. Arrange the stars over the blueberry portion of the pie.
- Brush the pie with the beaten egg wash and sprinkle generously with sugar. Cover the edge of the crust with a crust shield or a 2-inch strip of aluminum foil.
- Bake for 25 minutes, then remove the foil/crust shield. Reduce the heat to 375 degrees Fahrenheit (190 degrees Celsius) and continue to bake for 60 minutes, until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
- Cool the pie for 1 hour before serving.